Monday, January 17, 2011

my classroom.


When I was a little girl, I didn't do too well in school.

Not that I wasn't intelligent-- I just really really loved to socialize and talk.

From as long as I can remember, on every report card, each teacher's comments were: "talks too much".

Then when I quit talking in fear of the teacher's wrath, I started writing notes.

Funny-- I used to play school all the time by myself.

Making charts, the sound of papers being shuffled, pages being turned, correcting pretend school work, organizing the teaching supplies.....

I loved the aesthetics of it all, but not the actual mechanics.

Now I am a teacher. I mean, a real teacher. With my own real students. A real school name {Little Yellow Schoolhouse}. With real papers to correct.

My husband and I came up with the brilliant idea {if I say so myself} to move the washer and dryer from a room only accessible by going outdoors into the hallway closet. Aside from a few minor things (folding doors and trim still have to be added), that part is done. We also moved our water heater outside and in so doing, we freed up enough space to have a little classroom.

And I have been anxiously awaiting its completion. The deadline was last September. We were planning on it being ready for the start of school. But since my husband is a hands-on Dad involved in every aspect of caring for the kids, plus having a regular full-time job, plus being the Pastor of a church, his extra available time has been slim.

He really wants to put this dangling project behind him so that I will have my classroom soon. Real soon. I have all these expectations of how wonderful my classroom will look. How pretty and smart it will be visually. How my children's educations will be better because of the charts and pictures and the organization and available resources that I can finally display. I'm probably over estimating the impact my new classroom will finally have. But that's okay. The anticipation is fun.

For now I just count the days till we break the ribbon on the threshold and pray a blessing over our soon to be classroom. With pictures to come........

2 comments:

Marla Grace said...

Can not wait to see your new school room!:)

*Katy* said...

You are so creative that I can't wait to see what you do with your classroom :)