Friday, November 27, 2015

thanksgiving 2015 & today.














Do I need to even tell you what a blessed Thanksgiving we had? At first, we were expecting company, but since I’ve been so sick these past two weeks, we unfortunately had to change plans and only Chris’ mom joined us. 

It was a beautiful day and she brought Gingerbread houses and trains for the kids to decorate outside on the picnic table. They loved it and couldn’t decide whether to eat the candy or decorate with it. 





Our meal came out perfect and delicious. And after we had some pie, we took out our digital projector, hooked it up to Parker’s sound system and projected it on the wall. Huge. 

We watched the movie “Max” as a family. Wow. The only bad part was that after it was over, everyone began to contemplate the possibility of us getting another dog. A few of us even had dreams last night about a dog, but then I had a reality check and said, “No.” Unless...






Today, Chris and I took Charlie to IHOP for his birthday meal since he was too busy with football at the time of his actual birthday. We take each kiddo out to eat for their birthday and it’s their choice (to a limit!). 

But it’s funny because everyone from Sophia down picks IHOP. I love IHOP, but Chris (who wants to try out some of the local greasy spoons) jokes with each of them asking if there’s ANY other place they would rather go and they each say, “No!”




We hustled over to Smart and Final for a quick shopping spree on the football team’s credit account. I figured, “How many people will be food shopping on Black Friday?” 

The reason for us being there was that I offered to put together the refreshments for Parker’s football team’s award ceremony. 

When Parker first told me what they were going to be doing, Chris immediately told me that I’m not allowed to do it (in a funny way)-- as if I need something else to do. Yet the minute he walked out the front door, I texted Parker’s Coach and told him I would love to volunteer in that capacity. 

So now I’m basically in charge of coordinating and running the refreshment table before and after the awards. Since we had already done the team meals, the coach was more than happy to have us take that responsibility off his hands. 

At this point, there’s not a lot of parent involvement so they really appreciate and need it. 

The truth is that I really like doing this kind of stuff anyway-- planning, coordinating, and serving-- in the community with my kids (I don’t need a catering crew; I already have one!), so it’s a perfect match for my talents.


The rest of the afternoon until dark, Chris and Ethan worked on our really cool new tree house while I finished up my last minute Christmas cards. And our presents are already beginning to arrive. 

I know some people love to get out of the house and do their shopping in the store and I do do a little of that, but my kids LOVE LOVE when the box man (UPS) delivers presents all month long. 

They get so excited each time he comes up the walkway and they see the piles build up to towers. It’s just the way we do it around here. It’s all about the kids. Remember, they only have one childhood.

No comments: